How to Choose Your Home’s Exterior Color
Do you know how to choose the best colors for your home’s exterior?
There are various ways to blend a beautiful color palette including the rooftop, window shutters, doors, siding, handrails, and other components. While there isn’t a “wrong way” to coordinate colors, design experts and homeowners agree that some color patterns make more sense than others.
Here are some variables worth considering when you select, augment, or alter your outdoor colors.
How to Choose Home Exterior Colors
- Start with the Roof
- This is arguably the most visible element of your home. You can’t hide it at all, especially if you have a shorter ranch-style home. Therefore, if you seek to make changes (or build a home from scratch), it’s essential to get the roof correct. This means browsing through the various roofing options such as shingle systems (from companies like GAF and Owens Corning), which offer many dynamic colors.
- Many Sarasota residents may prefer a more premium look, one you’d get from clay-tiled roofs or even stone-coated metal roofs. You have no less than hundreds of ways to install picturesque roofs and solidify a huge portion of your exterior curb appeal.
- Then Focus on the Other Major Components
- Next, you’ll want to devote significant attention to things like siding and window shutters. Siding materials come in dozens of colors, which you can use to either complement or contrast with the roof. Many manufacturers, like James Hardie, produce magnificent fiber-cement boards you can select to fit several popular styles. It’s also possible to go the traditional route by using fine cedar for a Board and Batten look.
- Consider Everything Around You (Other Homes, Nature, etc.)
- We don’t think you have to “keep up with the Joneses” when you make home upgrade decisions. However, if you’re stuck on which colors to choose, then consider what other homeowners have done nearby. It’s easy to take a quick trip around the neighborhood to snap some pictures of what you like on other houses.
- Also, what kind of natural features exist around you? Do you live near lots of woods and greenery? If so, you might do well to incorporate forest green colors or earthy tones for your home. Since we’re right next to the Gulf of Mexico, it’s common for local property owners to emphasize ocean blue and lighter, tranquil colors.
- Call Nutter Construction for Ideas & Inspiration
- When all else fails, it never hurts to have a seasoned designer at your fingertips for friendly advice. We’ve worked on a multitude of gorgeous homes around Sarasota, which gives us a comparative advantage in creating novel color schemes. Judge for yourself how well we design and enhance homes by checking out pictures of our previous work. The color coordination of the patio, roof, and siding in the French Provincial project shows how NCC can put it all together magnificently.
So, that’s the gist of selecting colors and designs for your home exterior. Don’t hesitate to seek expert help from Nutter Custom Construction, Sarasota’s premier building/design service.
Contact us today to learn more by calling 941-924-1868.